It is not easy to stand out in the crowd, especially when your consumer brand is not the biggest. What are some ways that you can help the company stand out from the pack?
Listen in on what our panelists have to say.
This event is part of the “Let’s Talk Recruiting” series where a panel of recruiting practitioners get together online and have a conversation on a variety of topics related to corporate recruiting.
Click to Play the Recording
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|Brent Schreckengost||TA Leaders||Head of North America Recruiting - Technology||SAP|
|Glenn Murani||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Optima Global Solutions|
|Mahen Kathirithamby||TA Leaders||Director Of Recruiting||Looking for Work|
|Malia Jorgensen||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Nortal US|
Looking for automated reference checking?
Be sure to check out our group sponsor.
We asked our attendees, “What is one thing that you do to get the attention of the candidates that you are trying to recruit?”
Here are their answers:
- Appeal to the individual's background by sending a direct message and avoiding blast emails
- Ask them what they’re looking for in their next move then speak to how our company exemplifies that.
- attractive lead for each job ad
- Be active on LI
- Be creative in the subject line
- call them
- Compliment something in their background.
- Compliment their background and experience
- Concentrate on the selling point!
- Connect their passions to what we're doing.
- create subject line in emails
- custom outreach
- Demonstrate via my outreach that I understand their work and industry
- direct messages
- Discuss EVP
- Drive market share and exposure. Most candidates don't know our company.
- Email early AM or late in the PM
- Flexibility of the position
- Give them all the good things first.
- Give them value!
- Great JD
- Have fun
- Highlight competitive beneifts
- I always try to find some commonality or genuinely show interest in something on their resume/profile
- I come at everything with the approach of seeking help or advice.
- I keep it short, and try to portray specifically why their profile interests me.
- I love using company videos displaying what we do as well as sharing with them the selling points of the role
- I'm specific about their experience/skills that stood out to me, and I make it about them, not about the job opening.
- Keep it casual and about them!
- make the communication personal
- Mention the positive aspects of the organization to "sell" and promote the company as a great place to work
- Mention their experience that applies to the role, why they would be a good fit
- Our Company was not a household name- I wanted to inform them that they were applying to a well respected company w a 50 yr hist
- Our culture
- Our Mission
- Personal relevant email
- Personalize my messages to the candidates
- Personalize the message to be more relatable to their background!
- Personalized messaging
- Pose a question in my subject line or post
- Post articles on Cyber
- post on LinkedIn
- Pre-Covid I was a big fan of attending industry events where I would likely find candidates. That physical presence mattered.
- Reach out to them
- Read their resume/profile and speak specifically to it. they really appreciate it.
- Recruitment prezi. It highlights the company, culture, values, and perks. It shows candidates who we are early in the process.
- Refer to a mutual connection that I actually know
- Reference a recent company article.
- relate to them personally.
- Run targeted campaigns on LinkedIn and Indeed
- Send videos
- Set up email campaigns
- Share company values
- Share thought leadership content
- Show "day in the life" highlights
- Show them what their future can look like
- showcase our culture
- Silly messages
- social media
- Social Media Ads
- Social Media advertising
- Social media blasts
- Speak to their experience before pitching the position.
- Subject Lines
- Tell my company's story - it is compelling. Help them understand our "why".
- The organizations mission statement
- United States
- We do not currently have a budget - so it is all about our employee's engagement on social media
- We host free hiring events that directly benefit the candidate regardless if they are hired.
- write personal emails.
Chat Messages from the Session…
10:04:05>> From Sean Rehder : Feel free to add any comments or questions here in the Chat area
Make sure as an attendee, if you message something in the Chat area that you select “All Panelists and Attendees.”
The default is just to Panelists but I want everyone to see the messages coming through.
10:06:28>> From Brent Schreckengost to Sean Rehder(Privately) : Can you see/hear me now? Was having issues earlier
10:06:40>> From Sean Rehder to Brent Schreckengost(Privately) : I can see you, yes
10:06:46>> From Sean Rehder to Brent Schreckengost(Privately) : audio “looks” good.
10:07:10>> From Brent Schreckengost to Sean Rehder(Privately) : Thanks 🙂
10:09:22>> From Sean Rehder to Brent Schreckengost(Privately) : I’ll come to you after Glenn, ok?
10:09:42>> From Brent Schreckengost to Sean Rehder(Privately) : Yep that sounds good
10:16:43>> From Catherine Hansen to All panelists : @Malia, what tactics does your internal marketing team use to build talent brand and get direct results/hires?
10:21:35>> From Daniel Snelgrow : I’ve noticed that during many of these virtual events tend to track in recent grads versus senior, lead, or principal level. You mentioned people attending up to the architect level, how are you attracting this talent and having them attend these events?
10:28:14>> From Jose Martinez : My company has kept all of the recruiting events we had planned for this year but just moved them virtually and scaled back into smaller and more fireside chat style to create deeper connections
10:28:32>> From Brent Schreckengost to Sean Rehder(Privately) : It is not as easy 🙂 but really understanding and tailoring content/messaging out to this target audience. If we can present interesting (and complex) problems we are solving with our technology that helps attract more ‘senior’ level talent
10:28:36>> From Wahoo Fitness : Gotta go, I have a candidate call in 2 minutes.
10:28:44>> From Brent Schreckengost to Sean Rehder(Privately) : Sorry meant to sent that to the group
10:28:57>> From Brent Schreckengost : It is not as easy 🙂 but really understanding and tailoring content/messaging out to this target audience. If we can present interesting (and complex) problems we are solving with our technology that helps attract more ‘senior’ level talent
10:29:32>> From Daniel Snelgrow : Thank you!
10:31:25>> From Catherine Hansen : @Malia, what’s the name of that event where you present for 5 min? Didn’t catch
10:32:42>> From Brent Schreckengost : HackerX
10:34:03>> From Brent Schreckengost : https://hackerx.org/
10:47:51>> From Catherine Hansen : @Sean, what form does that outreach to your cold lead take (ex: we’ll be at this event, are you going?)
10:48:04>> From Catherine Hansen : Is that a cold email outreach to their work email?
10:48:36>> From Yvette Kamperin to All panelists : What CRM (for recruiting) tools are you using?
10:50:32>> From Heather Levine : I did that with my messaging. Pre – covid a huge seller to my job was face to face sales. So I took all that language out of my messaging.
10:53:16>> From Jenny Bastrom to All panelists : Thank you!
10:53:17>> From Catherine Hansen : THANK YOU
10:53:30>> From ASHLEY GREENE to All panelists : thanks to all the panelists and Sean!
Some of the attendees…
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|Anita Kumar||Recruiting Atlanta||Talent Acquisition Business Partner||GE Appliances, a Haier company|
|Saundra Ramsey||Recruiting Atlanta||Talent Acquisition Business Partner hiring all levels of Technology||Wahoo Fitness|
|Andrea Palaian||Recruiting Atlanta||Global Recruiting Leader||Deloitte|
|Dan Baker||Recruiting Atlanta||Senior Corporate Recruiter||Healthstat|
|Christine Williams||Recruiting Boston||Recruiter||Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston|
|Alison Becker||Recruiting Boston||Talent Acquisition Specialust||Bullhorn|
|Sarah Schaefer||Recruiting Chicago||Senior Recruiter||Fresenius Kabi USA|
|Shawn Watzka||Recruiting Chicago||Senior Recruiter||Inpatient Psych Solutions|
|Koli Donohue||Recruiting Chicago||Manager||Stillwater Architecture, LLC|
|Theresa Hart||Recruiting Dallas||Talent Acquisition Program Manager||Altice USA|
|Heather Levine||Recruiting Dallas||Recruiter - Allstate Agency Auto Dealership Program||Allstate|
|Rob Sheard||Recruiting Denver||Senior Recruiter||CGI|
|Delaina Silva||Recruiting Denver||Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant||SDL plc|
|Susan Collins||Recruiting Houston||Director, Talent Acquisition - Stores & Employer Branding||Talbots|
|Ashley Greene||Recruiting Houston||Board Member Recruiter||Gift of Adoption Fund|
|Lance Hunsicker||Recruiting LA||Executive Recruiter||Parsons Corporation|
|Cindy Wong||Recruiting LA||Sr. Talent Acquisition Specialist||Princess Cruises|
|Dang Hua||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition Business Partner||Opus Bank|
|Stacey Grogan||Recruiting LA||Senior Staffing Specialist||Unknown|
|Matt Englund||Recruiting Minneapolis||Talent Acquisition Leader||Nerdery|
|Dana Bozich||Recruiting Minneapolis||Talent Acquisition Specialist||Sedgwick|
|Dave Elliston||Recruiting Minneapolis||Senior Technology Recruiter||SPS Commerce|
|Becky Gramenz||Recruiting Minneapolis||Sr. Talent Acquisition Specialist||Looking for Work|
|Jose Martinez||Recruiting NYC||Senior Recruiter, Global Marketing + Recruiting Manager/POC for Hardware Marketing+ DEI Project Lead|
|Roseanne Donohue||Recruiting NYC||Senior Talent Acquisition Manager, North America||Radware|
|Nidia Rodriguez||Recruiting NYC||Talent Acquisition Specialist||RB|
|Brian Mulligan||Recruiting Philly||Corporate Recruiter||Penske|
|Elaine Dewitt||Recruiting Phoenix||Contract Recruiter||HonorHealth|
|Becky Cooper||Recruiting Phoenix||Talent Acquisition Manager||Republic Services|
|Mike Mattson||Recruiting Portland||Corporate Recruiter||Papa Murphy's International|
|Daniel Snelgrow||Recruiting Portland||Recruiter||Nike|
|Jenny Bastrom||Recruiting Seattle||Senior Recruiter / Sourcing Specialist||Washington State Department of Social and Health Services www.careers.wa.gov|
|Jessica Burgess||Recruiting Seattle||Director, Talent Acquisition||Zones, Inc.|
|Marita Arevalo||Recruiting Seattle||Recruiter||Aegis Living|
|Abby Dooley||Recruiting Seattle||Recruiter (Technical)||Edifecs|
|Tracey Gilbert-Dimof||Recruiting Seattle||Talent Acquisition Manager||Urban Plates|
|Catherine Hansen||Recruiting SFBA||Senior Manager, Recruiting||Hippo Insurance|
|Yvette Kamperin||Recruiting SFBA||VP, Talent Acquisition||Scout RFP|
|Russell Jones||Recruiting The Triangle||Senior Technical Recruiter||Lionbridge|
|Nicole McDaniel||Recruiting.Work||Talent Acquisition Partner 2||Huntington Ingalls Industries|
|Katie Hoffmeister||Recruiting.Work||Talent Acquisition Recruiter||H&A Architects & Engineers|
|Manisha Bavabhai||TA Leaders||Head of Recruiting||Hudson MX|
|Kathy King||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Confluent Health|
|Bennett Yang||TA Leaders||Director Talent Acquisition||SoundHound|
|Kristina Droz||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Bluestone Properties|
|Mike Sensenig||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Haller Enterprises|
|Stacey Kramer||TA Leaders||Director, Recruiting||314e Corporation|
|Nancee Martin||TA Leaders||Managing Director Corporate Recruiting||AvAirPros|