No one went to school to learn how to be a recruiter. What’s the truth about what it is like to be in recruiting.
This event is part of the “Let’s Talk Recruiting” series where a panel of recruiting practitioners get together online and have a conversation on a variety of topics related to corporate recruiting.
In today’s conversation…
You only really know what being a recruiter is like after being a recruiter. In today’s panel session, we talk about what are some of the misconceptions that are out there in regards to what recruiting is and what recruiting can do.
Listen in and see if you agree with your panelists thoughts on the topic.
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|Mayra Alfaro||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition||Seasons Hospice & Palliative Care|
|Shani Phillip||Recruiting NYC||Talent Acquisition Specialist||Intercontinental Exchange|
|Joseph Archila||Recruiting NYC||Global Head of Talent Acquisition Program Office||Marsh & McLennan Companies|
|Shawn Rackow||TA Leaders||Director, Global Talent Acquisition||GoHealth|
Some of the attendees…
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|Catherine DiMartino||Recruiting Boston||Senior Global Corporate Recruiter||Independent Contractor|
|Jim Dakin||Recruiting Boston||Talent Acquisition Business Partner - R&D||Takeda Pharmaceuticals|
|JENNIFER ONEIL||Recruiting Boston||Talent Acquisition Manager||Forward Financing (previous)|
|Marci Piper||Recruiting Boston||Talent Acquisition Manager||LEDVANCE|
|Christine Williams||Recruiting Boston||Recruiter||Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston|
|Elizabeth Lollock||Recruiting Chicago||Regional Vice President, Senior Talent Acquisition Partner||Gallagher|
|Sarah Schaefer||Recruiting Chicago||Senior Recruiter||Fresenius Kabi USA|
|Tricia Jones||Recruiting Chicago||Director Talent Acquisition||Carle Health System|
|Mattie Coleman||Recruiting Chicago||Talent Acquisition Manager||Carle Health System|
|Shelbi Davis||Recruiting Denver||Sr. Talent Advisor - Digital Services & Technology||Charles Schwab|
|Cara Hyndman||Recruiting Denver||Recruiting Consultant||Wells Fargo|
|Tim Strandberg||Recruiting Denver||Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist||Datavail|
|Diana Maronen||Recruiting LA||Recruiter||Ember Technologies|
|Mike Crosby||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition Partner||Age of Learning / ABCmouse.com|
|Zachary Eggers||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition Partner||AEG|
|Bez Rengifo||Recruiting LA||Sr. Manager / Director, People Services (HR Business Partner department)||Loma Linda University Health Care|
|Denise Ward||Recruiting Minneapolis||Technical Recruiter||Wunderlich-Malec Engineering|
|Dana Bozich||Recruiting Minneapolis||Talent Acquisition Specialist||Sedgwick|
|Lia Kosmicki||Recruiting Minneapolis||Regional Recruiter||Agiliti|
|Ahna Thorstenson||Recruiting NYC||Recruiter||Uber|
|Elaine Dewitt||Recruiting Phoenix||Contract Recruiter||HonorHealth|
|Marvin Smith||Recruiting Seattle||Strategic Talent Sourcing | Talent Community Strategist||Lockheed Martin|
|Amy Shook||Recruiting Seattle||Senior Recruiter||RealSelf|
|Nicole Mobley-Cooper||Recruiting The Triangle||Sr. TA Consultant||NetApp|
|Glenn Murani||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Optima Global Solutions|
|Matt Miller||TA Leaders||Senior Director of Global Talent Acquisition||Worldwide Clinical Trials|
|Bennett Yang||TA Leaders||Director Talent Acquisition||SoundHound|
|Tony Le||TA Leaders||Sr. Director, Global Talent Acquisition||Contentful|
|Nancee Martin||TA Leaders||Managing Director Corporate Recruiting||AvAirPros|
|Kim Lonas||TA Leaders||Director, Human Resources||Exertis|
|Smita Ray||TA Leaders||Director Of Recruiting||Carmel Partners|
|Amanda Radice||TA Leaders||Technical Recruiter||SurveyMonkey|
|Monica Parker||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition and Development||Helget Gas Products|
|Marti Pranger||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition||Empower Partnerships|
|Renée Ingram||TA Leaders||Director Of Recruiting||Apple Growth Partners|
|Sandesh Sukumaran||TA Leaders||Head of Professional Services,||Accion Labs|
|AnnMarie Cleary||TA Leaders||Director Talent Acquisition||Guardicore|
|Joe Shanbaum||TA Leaders||Director of Technical Recruitment - Autonomous Vehicles & Mobility||Ford Motor Company|
|Joe Giadone||TA Leaders||Head of Talent Acquisition & Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Officer Americas||KARL STORZ Endoscopy-America, Inc.|
|JoDee Klinker||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Carson Group|
|Edward Simpson||TA Leaders||Senior Manager of Technology Talent Acquisition||TD Ameritrade|
We asked our attendees, “What is 1 misconception about recruiting that you know of?”
Here are their answers:
- All recruiters are extroverts & “people persons”
- All recruiters don't understand the jobs they recruit for
- Anyone can do it.
- Attempting to fill undesirable positions that have been a challenge to fill.
- Candidates are not always truthful when it comes to other opportunities they are pursuing.
- Corporate recruiters simply post a role and then field applicant resumes in order to fill a position.
- Hard to fill positions are easy to fill
- It takes diligence, insight, persistence, patience and passion to be a successful recruiter
- It's easy
- It's easy and anyone can do it!
- It's everyone's job to recruit, not just the recruiter!
- It's only about sales and selling
- Recruiters are reactive
- Recruiters focus on quantity over quality
- Recruiters only care about filling the role
- Recruiting isn't valuable, recruiters are order takers (rather than business partners)
- that AI can replace recruiters
- That candidates are always available and ready to take your call.
- That it's instantaneous
- That recruiters don't care, that's why they don't get back to candidates
- That recruiters only care about commission
- That Talent Advisors/Recruiters have no control over the hiring process
- That we are a service not a partner
- That we don't listen
- That we only push paper!
- that we'll immediately have multiple qualified candidates
- the amount of time to source QUALIFIED applicants
- The interviewer's time is more valuable than the interviewee's time.
- There’s a large pool of quality candidates looking for work
- we all get paid per hire
- we have all the answers
- We read all cover letters
- we're sales