For the most part, recruiting programs have shifted from being order takers to taking on a more consultative and strategic role at their companies.
In today’s round-table session, we talk through ways that recruiters can be “consultative” with their hiring managers and hiring teams.
Listen in on what our panelists have to say.
This event is part of the “Let’s Talk Recruiting” series where a panel of recruiting practitioners get together online and have a conversation on a variety of topics related to corporate recruiting.
Click to Play the Recording
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|Andy Marchetti||TA Leaders||Director, IT Recruiting||XPO Logistics, Inc.|
|Colin Russell||Staff Technical Recruiter - Vehicle Hardware||Cluster|
|Diane Karija||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition | Pharmaceutical Executive Recruiter||Fresenius Kabi USA|
|Katherine Dahlke||Unsubscribed||Head of Talent Acquisition NAMER||Kerry|
|Sherry Sims||TA Leaders||Founder/CEO||BrightView|
We asked our attendees, “What is one tactic that you use to be “consultative” to your hiring managers?”
Here are their answers:
- A workback calendar to allay anxiety about timing, educating them helps
- accurate data
- Active listening
- advise them
- ASK --> LISTEN 50% MORE THAN TALKING --> RECOMMEND
- Ask a lot of questions that allow them to self-evaluate their decisions and the makeup of their team
- Ask lots of questions, listen actively, take notes and follow up / allow them to edit
- Ask more questions.
- ask open ended Q
- Ask questions.
- Asking why and other questions to guide the hiring manager
- Attend team meetings
- Be proactive with communication. Have an intake meeting with them prior to working on any requisition/seach for them.
- become a partner not a vendor
- being an advocate for them within HR
- bring data on hires if possible
- build trust
- Checking in beginning and end of the week with updates.
- data insights
- Define my typical recruiting/presentation process and then encourage them to provide adjustments that fit their needs.
- education them on the marketplace, and what is important to the candidates you are speaking with.
- Giving a balanced (pro/con) of each candidate - no candidate is perfect
- Go to the intake meeting with information about the job market and setting expectations regarding communication and feedback.
- having a recruiting strategy meeting at the beginning of the process
- help them understand they are in sales
- I always use the word recommend when suggesting a strategy
- I hold a kickoff call and I also establish an SLA with the HM of what the expectations are for both parties.
- Indeed analytics, Tableau
- Inquire about forecasting and business projections
- Intake session (timelines, critical path, demographic/regional info)
- Knowing their business.
- Listen and understand before excuting
- listen to their long term career goals and remind/ encourage them to make decisions towards the end result in mind.
- Listen to their needs
- Maintain an open relationship with hiring managers
- Making them aware of the market and where we stand against the competition. Must be able to push back when needed.
- need to first gain their trust
- Observe what is not done as well as what is
- Open dialogue and debriefing meeting
- Open discussion for asking key questions
- Proactive resources
- Provide data
- Provide market data on open job requisition
- Provide them with market intel
- Providing industry trends/stats, interviewing tips and importance of having an excellent candidate experience
- Providing profiles for the manager to review prior to our initial strategy meeting.
- Providing the candidate's motivations for possibly making a move.
- Push for Job Descriptions review & updates.
- Recruiting Game Plan before recruit starts
- Research new and innovative ways to perform
- Set up bi- weekly meeting to share information and updates
- Share labor market data during intake call
- share the EVP
- Sharing information on market dynamics
- Sharing market data
- Strategizing creative ways to fill a req
- Transparency, lay out all the information
- understand the market
- Use market data to support offer negotiations
- weekly check in meetings
- Weekly roundtable meetings
Chat Messages from the Session…
10:10:51 >> From Maureen Daly : What specific engineering is in demand right now in your company?
10:11:37 >> From Catherine Hansen : @All, what do you say to a hiring manager who views recruiting as a service organization, vs a partner? Common in startups
10:13:53 >> From Steven Green to All panelists : How do you overcome hiring manager bias to only look at industry-specific talent vs. cross-industry?
10:16:25 >> From Heidi Gorman : How do you all ensure that you are partnering with hiring managers in D&I strategic recruitment initiatives and efforts?
10:18:46 >> From Steven Green : Have you offered or utilized specific developmental effort to ensure recruiters develop skills as true talent consultants? What has worked best for you all?
10:18:51 >> From Daniella McDonald : I think consultative also includes providing market data, insights about candidate pools, competition
10:20:05 >> From Steven Green : Great idea on introducing market supply/demand data. What data sources have been most credible and meaningful?
10:20:27 >> From Destiny Quinn : I require a Kickoff Call to discuss the role – I do not call it an “Intake Meeting”, as we are not order-takers.
10:20:50 >> From Thea Cassia to All panelists : @Steven Green – we use LinkedIn Talent Insights, but there are numerous platforms. Gartner has a data platform and so does Emsi.
10:21:02 >> From Catherine Hansen : Yes, I have observed 1st yr departures due to poor on- boarding or role being poorly scoped/defined
10:21:07 >> From richard ku to All panelists : CareerBuilder has a supply/demand tool you can use
10:21:31 >> From Heidi Gorman : Intake calls are critical. Love that line, Destiny. Definitely not order takers. We are critical stakeholders/business partners and have a voice at the table, too.
10:21:38 >> From richard ku to All panelists : SeekOut has another a different version where it shows you where the candidates are located based on your search criteria
10:21:39 >> From Daniella McDonald : @Steven I have used LinkedIn. CareerBuilder used to have supply and demand data.
10:22:20 >> From Destiny Quinn : I let my HMs know that I will “go to market” with the HM’s requests – then I will meet with them by end of the week and showing them that “purple squirrel” they want for not enough $$ isn’t realistic but here’s what you need to pay should you want that skillset.
10:22:46 >> From Steven Green : Thanks, Daniella.
10:23:48 >> From Destiny Quinn : I also show them market data on the other profiles that might be closer to fit their budget and that we may need to tweak their requirements.
10:28:39 >> From Steven Green : As a successful practice: Did LinkedIn Lunch and Learns for busy manager groups, showing how they could leverage their networks to assist in supporting pipelining for skilled talent (cold and warm leads). Also reinforced why their participation in the pipelining effort was essential (not just for recruiters).
10:30:02 >> From Jessica Marotta : +1 “street cred”
10:30:16 >> From Destiny Quinn : I love that @Katherine!
10:30:57 >> From Jessica Marotta : GO Katherine!
10:30:58 >> From Catherine Hansen : Yay Katherine
10:31:04 >> From Heidi Gorman : Good for you, @Katherine! Advocating for yourself but also showing value proposition
10:32:21 >> From Destiny Quinn : What makes this a great career move?
10:33:15 >> From Steven Green : Good advice, Katherine!
10:34:01 >> From Destiny Quinn : Exactly Katherine!
10:34:56 >> From Antoinette Williams : that’s how i train recruiters.
10:35:08 >> From Jessica Shew : We have our TAs at the more senior level mentor the less experienced TAs
10:35:10 >> From Daniella McDonald : Being a partner with hiring managers is consultative. It’s their job to hire, recruiters are support.
10:43:47 >> From Jessica Shew : For high profile roles, we will do Post mortem
10:44:18 >> From Mary-Ellen Messer : I like to talk about that during the initial “intake” meeting and ask the Hiring Managers what could have been done better the last time you were recruiting for this position.
10:56:06 >> From Mikaela Moore to All panelists : That’s great!!
10:56:25 >> From Dan Shortall : That is an excellent point Sean Rehder- face time is key!
10:57:19 >> From Maureen Daly : In the kick off call, I ask the HM their preference on how to communicate.
10:57:37 >> From Daniella McDonald : Great topic and conversation today. Thank you to everyone!
10:57:40 >> From Maalikah Yorke : This was great information! Thank you!
10:57:41 >> From Jessica Marotta : Such a great conversation! Thank you everyone!
10:57:44 >> From Heidi Gorman : Virtual recruitment is here to stay. Thank you all for your wonderful feedback and input.
10:57:46 >> From Maureen Daly : Thanks everyone!
10:57:52 >> From Stacey Kramer : Great info – thanks everyone!
10:58:07 >> From John Merciadez : Any good resources for an ‘interview playbook’ for interview teams and HM’s?
10:58:24 >> From Guiti Nabavi to All panelists : Sorry missed something.. what was green belt?
10:59:23 >> From Katherine Dahlke to Guiti Nabavi and all panelists : Six Sigma Green Belt – got certified to gain credibility with the business
10:59:48 >> From Guiti Nabavi to All panelists : Thanks 🙂
11:00:20 >> From Susandhya Narayani to All panelists : Very insightful session! Thanks everyone
Some of the attendees…
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|John Merciadez||Senior Technical Recruiter||zulily|
|Cindy McWilliams||Talent Manager||American College of Surgeons|
|Amy Westbrook||Talent Advisor||Nielsen|
|Thea Cassia||Manager, International Talent Acquisition & Strategic Initiatives||CDW|
|David Anderson||Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant||Takeda Pharmaceuticals|
|Jonelle Wilson||Sr. Business Consultant, HR/Talent||Children's Healthcare Of Atlanta|
|Lisa Trujillo||Director of Talent Acquisition||Hub Hospitality Group|
|Caitlin Braulick||Talent Acquisition Specialist||H.B. Fuller|
|Catherine Hansen||Talent Acquisition Manager, Global Talent Acquisition||Hippo Insurance|
|Susandhya N||Talent Acquisition||WinWire Technologies|
|Lance Hunsicker||Lead Executive Recruiter||Parsons Corporation|
|Radhika Aggarwal||Senior Technical Recruiter||Macy's|
|Eileen Flynn||Lead Creative Recruiter (Digital Product/UX Design)||Wolverine World Wide|
|Rose Nolen||Talent Acquisition Sourcer||ManpowerGroup Talent Solutions|
|Dan Baker||Recruiting Manager||Healthstat|
|Allyson Leszman||Lead Experienced Hire Recruiter||Open to Opportunity|
|Bennett Yang||Director Talent Acquisition||Unknown|
|Linsee Mathews||Talent Acquisition Specialist||Apex Capital Corp|
|Thom Macfarlane||Senior Recruiter||F5|
|Heidi Gorman||Senior Executive Recruiter||Cheil North America|
|Caroldean Ross||Construction Recruiter | Multifamily||Carmel Partners|
|Sarah Schaefer||Staffing Manager||Fresenius Kabi USA|
|Maureen Daly||Talent Acuuisition Consultant||Rose International|
|Mary-Ellen Messer||Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist||Casa Systems|
|Cindy Wong||Sr. Contract Recruiter||Princess Cruises|
|Betty Zabs||Senior Corporate Recruiter||Nordstrom|
|Matt Fox||Technical Recruiter||AMERICAN SYSTEMS|
|Antoinette Williams||Recruiting Atlanta||Recruiter||KNAPP|
|Connie Cheung||Recruiting Boston||Lead Design Recruiter - UX & Creative Direction||adidas|
|Brandon Barber||Recruiting Dallas||Senior Technical Recruiter||Hilton Worldwide|
|Mary Chandler||Recruiting Denver||Senior Technology Recruiter||FIS|
|Michelle McKnight||Recruiting LA||Recruitment Lead, Corporate Functions, Marketing & Sales||Herbalife|
|Matt Englund||Recruiting Minneapolis||Talent Acquisition Leader||Nerdery|
|Lauren Melton||Recruiting Nashville||Corporate Recruiter||Gresham Smith|
|Farron McDonald||Recruiting Seattle||Senior Technology Recruiter||Tesla, Inc|
|Katie Hoffmeister||Recruiting.Work||Talent Acquisition Recruiter||H&A Architects & Engineers|
|Mikaela Moore||Recruiting.Work||Talent Acquisition Partner||Charter Communications|
|Jessica Marotta||TA Leaders||Talent Acquisition Manager||Forrester|
|JoDee Klinker||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Carson Group|
|Daniella McDonald||TA Leaders||Manager, Talent Acquisition||WorkCare, Inc.|
|Lori Rinn||TA Leaders||Senior Executive Recruiter||Verizon|
|Vira Trevino-Garcia||TA Leaders||Recruiting Consultant||Hexcel Corporation|
|Guiti Nabavi||TA Leaders||Diversity & University Recruiting||NVIDIA|
|Christine Smith||TA Leaders||Talent Acquisition Lead North America||CommScope|
|Destiny Quinn||TA Leaders||Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition||Material Bank|
|Jessica Burgess||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition-North America||WE Communications|
|Steven Green||TA Leaders||Talent Acquisition Partner - Technology Recruiting||Dairy Farmers of America|
|Jessica Shew||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition||Irvine Company|
|Sean Fennelly||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition||Cole Haan|
|Manisha Bavabhai||TA Leaders||Senior Talent Partner||MURAL|
|Tracey Saccani||TA Leaders||Director Talent Sourcing, Acquisition and Strategic Partnerships-Global||Air Products|
|Nancee Martin||TA Leaders||Managing Director, Corporate Recruiting||AvAirPros|
|Stacey Kramer||TA Leaders||Recruitment Advisor, Information Technology, EHR||Medix|
|Dan Shortall||TA Leaders||Sr. Director of Strategic Staffing||Global Conductor|
|John Capozzi||TA Leaders||Director of Recruiting and Retention||On-Ramps To Careers|
|Glenn Murani||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Vitalief Inc.|