When budget is an issue and you can not pay for the most experienced recruiters. What are some ways to train your team and when do you know when to let go?
Listen in on what our panelists have to say.
This event is part of the “Let’s Talk Recruiting” series where a panel of recruiting practitioners get together online and have a conversation on a variety of topics related to corporate recruiting.
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|Brandon Diehm||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition?Tax & Audit||Heidrick & Struggles|
|Brenda Tern||TA Leaders||Head of Sales Recruiting, NAMER + LATAM Region||Udemy|
|Matthew Liptak||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition||Aura|
|Melisa Medrano||Recruiting SFBA||Manager, Talent Acquisition||NGM Biopharmaceuticals|
Some of the attendees…
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|Rose Nolen||Election Judge, HR Corporate Recruitment||ManpowerGroup Talent Solutions|
|Dan Baker||Recruiting Atlanta||Senior Corporate Recruiter||Healthstat|
|JENNIFER ONEIL||Recruiting Boston||Talent Acquisition Manager||Forward Financing (previous)|
|Jessica Marotta||Recruiting Boston||Principal, Talent Acquisition||Forrester|
|Stella Mereves-Carolan||Recruiting Boston||Corporate Senior Human Resources Specialist - Recruiting||Simpson Gumpertz & Heger|
|Koli Donohue||Recruiting Chicago||Manager||Stillwater Architecture, LLC|
|Sarah Greenberg||Recruiting Chicago||Talent Acquisition Manager||Press Ganey|
|Katie Stevens||Recruiting Chicago||Talent Acquisition Leader||GE Healthcare|
|Lisa Wrezel||Recruiting Chicago||Talent Acquisition Lead||Centric Consulting|
|Herlinda Martinez||Recruiting Dallas||Regional Recruiter||Pacific Retirement Services|
|Sheridan King||Recruiting DCBmore||Talent Acquisition Manager||RSM US LLP|
|Krystan Silva||Recruiting DCBmore||Talent Acquisition Manager||Looking for Work|
|Naveed Agha||Recruiting Houston||Sr. Talent Acquisition Manager, North America||BAKER HUGHES|
|Taylor Seltz||Recruiting Houston||Corporate Recruiter||Richdale Apartments|
|Christine Doane||Recruiting LA||Director, TA||On the market|
|Mike Crosby||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition Partner||Age of Learning / ABCmouse.com|
|Gillian Diamond||Recruiting LA||Senior Manager Talent Acquisition||Entertainment Partners|
|Theresa Dobson||Recruiting LA||Manager, Global Recruiting Strategy & Operations||BCG Digital Ventures|
|Rawson Leavitt||Recruiting LA||Lead Technical Recruiter||TigerConnect|
|Seam Lat||Recruiting Minneapolis||Director of Talent Acquisition||Recover Health, Inc|
|Roseanne Donohue||Recruiting NYC||Senior Talent Acquisition Manager, North America||Radware|
|Yasmin Alberto||Recruiting Philly||Manager, Talent Acquisition Operations||Broadridge|
|Jessika Filus||Recruiting Phoenix||Recruiting Manager||Mosaic North America|
|Kevin Francis||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Lark Technologies|
|William Uranga||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Spokeo|
|Michelle Sickles||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||IFM Restoration|
|Jim McMillin||TA Leaders||Vice President of Talent Acquisition||Optum|
|Stephanie St. Peter||TA Leaders||Director Of Recruiting||Zenetex|
|Khursheed Irani||TA Leaders||Head of Talent Acquisition||cPrime|
|David Baker||TA Leaders||Sr. Director of Growth & Development/Brokerage Services||One Homecare Solutions|
|Diane Mariuzza||TA Leaders||VP, Senior Recruiter||SitusAMC|
|Gina Gotsill||TA Leaders||Director Of Recruiting||SAGE Veterinary Centers|
|Destiny Quinn||TA Leaders||Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition||Corvee|
|Sherrie Epstein||TA Leaders||Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition||PulteGroup|
|Jay Barrow||TA Leaders||Head of Talent Acquisition||Southern States Cooperative|
|Pilar Brady||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition||Enterprise Products|
|Chawn Jackson||TA Leaders||Senior Director, Talent Acquisition||AvalonBay Communities|
|Will Mhrir||TA Leaders||Director Talent Acquisition||Topcon Positioning Group|
We asked our attendees, “What do you think is a great way to bring a recruiter “up” in their ablities as a recruiter?”
Here are their answers:
- Ask them what they want to do
- Challenge them constantly, provide consistent feedback, allow for them to fail, give some ownership.
- communication and transparency
- Continuing Education and Training
- Development plans using multiple modalities for learning, training and demonstration some level of understanding/mastery
- Ensuring they understand the business. In general, teaching business acumen.
- give them a chance to do build a strategy
- Give them strategic and leadership projects
- Hands on development and shadowing successful recruiters in similar roles
- Have a great mentor that can provide direct & specific training.
- have them shadow a good recruiter
- Have them train someone, explaining not just what to do but wby we do it
- Job Shaddowing
- Keep them involved with hiring teams outside of the recruiting process & encourage time to learn!
- listen to each other interview, listen to other skilled interviews - in media, analyze them together, rapport, transitions, etc
- n/a - I'm new to TA.
- Pairing with a great mentor to help understand customers and industry
- provide a strong system with KPI's but give them some autonomy within this structure
- Push them to have the tough conversations and have a seat at the table. Strengthen their passive recruiting abilities
- Resource them, but they must drive it
- setting goals
- Shadowing and hands on work
- shadowing more experienced recruiters
- Sourcing tools
- Spend time recruiting with them so you can understand how they operate and coach as needed
- teach them basic fundamentals of proactice candidate sourcing, requisition management and client/account management
- Teach them to think and act ahead of their candidates, hiring managers and market trends
- Train them on becoming a consultative strategic business partner to the hiring managers, rather than just being an "order-taker"
- Training on how to sell
- Watching and practicing - have them join intake meetings or offer negotiations and then let them do the next one.
- When to redeploy a recruiter into different responsibilities if they are failing.