Keeping the candidate experience positive when the news is bad
This event is part of the “Let’s Talk Recruiting” series where a panel of recruiting practitioners get together online and have a conversation on a variety of topics related to corporate recruiting.
In today’s conversation…
Only one person is getting the job so the messaging between recruiters and all the other candidates can get tricky when you want the candidates to still have a good experience.
Out panel discuss how they manage the messaging when it’s bad news for the candidates and try to avoid the resume black hole experience that candidates so often complain about.
Listen in to hear if you can apply some of their techniques.
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|John Kempe||Recruiting Denver||Technical Recruiting Leader||Gusto|
|Kathlene Whinnery||Recruiting Portland||Sr. Recruiter||Viewpoint|
|Julie Kemp||Recruiting SFBA||Talent Acquisition||Mercari|
|Erika Thorson-Garay||TA Leaders||Head of Global Talent Acquisition||LiveRamp|
Some of the attendees…
|Name & LinkedIn Profile||Group||Title||Company|
|Pam Rush||Recruiting Atlanta||Talent Acquisition Consultant||Assurant|
|Taylor Mitchell||Recruiting Atlanta||Recruiter||Amazon|
|Jessica Marotta||Recruiting Boston||Principal, Talent Acquisition||Forrester|
|Christine Williams||Recruiting Boston||Recruiter||Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston|
|Claudia Castaneda||Recruiting Chicago||Sr Talent Advisor||U.S. Cellular|
|Sarah Schaefer||Recruiting Chicago||Senior Recruiter||Fresenius Kabi USA|
|Lisa Wrezel||Recruiting Chicago||Talent Acquisition Lead||Centric Consulting|
|Elizabeth Lollock||Recruiting Chicago||Regional Vice President, Senior Talent Acquisition Partner||Gallagher|
|Kelly Esquivel||Recruiting Chicago||Sr. Recruiter||Avtex Solutions, LLC|
|Eli K.||Recruiting Chicago||Senior Talent Acquisition Partner||Unknown|
|Diane Karija||Recruiting Chicago||Senior Manager Talent Acquisition | Recruiter||Fresenius Kabi USA|
|Cindy McWilliams||Recruiting Chicago||Talent Manager||American College of Surgeons|
|Steven Rosenblum||Recruiting Chicago||Talent Acquisition and HR Operations Leader||Level 5 Partners|
|Tracey Anderson||Recruiting Chicago||Executive Recruiter||Veolia North America|
|Tricia Jones||Recruiting Chicago||Director Talent Acquisition||Carle Health System|
|Barbara Fasth||Recruiting Chicago||Recruiting Manager||Menasha Packaging|
|Shawn Watzka||Recruiting Chicago||Senior Recruiter||Inpatient Psych Solutions|
|Allison Cooper||Recruiting Dallas||Global Recruiter||YPO|
|Toni Sherman||Recruiting Dallas||Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant | Sr. Corporate Recruiter||Marsh & McLennan Companies|
|Antonia Ndi||Recruiting Dallas||Talent Acquisition Partner||Academic Partnerships|
|Heather Sisson||Recruiting Dallas||Talent Acquisition Leader||Bottle Rocket|
|Tim Strandberg||Recruiting Denver||Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist||Datavail|
|William Brown||Recruiting Denver||Technical Sourcing Recruiter||Amazon Web Services (AWS)|
|Courtney Hanchey||Recruiting Denver||Recruiter||City and County of Denver|
|Shelbi Davis||Recruiting Denver||Sr. Talent Advisor - Digital Services & Technology||Charles Schwab|
|Vira Garcia||Recruiting Houston||Director of Recruiting||vcfo|
|Crystal Crawford||Recruiting Houston||Talent Acquisition Partner||HighRadius|
|Kerry Clark||Recruiting LA||Vice-President, Sr. Recruiter||Union Bank|
|Giselle Salazar||Recruiting LA||TA Specialist||Optima Tax Relief|
|Jeffery Broussard||Recruiting LA||Senior Technical Recruiter||Redhorse Corporation|
|Mike Crosby||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition Partner||Age of Learning / ABCmouse.com|
|Nicholas Steinberg||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition Specialist||Bluebeam|
|Sylvia Correa||Recruiting LA||Sr. Talen||Capital Group|
|Yenni Li||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition Manager||Cargomatic|
|Charles Carbajo||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition||Looking for Work|
|Bez Rengifo||Recruiting LA||Sr. Manager / Director, People Services (HR Business Partner department)||Loma Linda University Health Care|
|Zachary Eggers||Recruiting LA||Talent Acquisition Partner||AEG|
|Allison Ausmus||Recruiting Minneapolis||Lead Recruiter||Eide Bailly LLP|
|Laura Hoff||Recruiting Minneapolis||Regional Recruiter||Eide Bailly LLP|
|Evan Waldera||Recruiting Minneapolis||Senior Recruiter||Sovos|
|Denise Ward||Recruiting Minneapolis||Technical Recruiter||Wunderlich-Malec Engineering|
|Deb Smith||Recruiting Minneapolis||Talent Acquisition Senior Corporate Recruiter||Best Buy|
|Dana Bozich||Recruiting Minneapolis||Talent Acquisition Specialist||Sedgwick|
|Becky Gramenz||Recruiting Minneapolis||Sr. Talent Acquisition Specialist||Looking for Work|
|Austin Davis||Recruiting Nashville||Corporate Recruiter||Bargain Hunt|
|Lauren Melton||Recruiting Nashville||Corporate Recruiter||Gresham Smith|
|Ahna Thorstenson||Recruiting NYC||Recruiter||Uber|
|Simone Epstein||Recruiting NYC||HR Manager||PX|
|Brandy Burrows||Recruiting Phoenix||Recruitment Operations Manager||Medix Team|
|Elaine Dewitt||Recruiting Phoenix||Contract Recruiter||HonorHealth|
|Melissa Kolbe||Recruiting Portland||Sr Recruiter||Viewpoint|
|Bridgitte Ngo||Recruiting Portland||Senior Recruiter||CareOregon|
|Candi Capperauld||Recruiting Seattle||Senior Recruiter||Manpower|
|Disha Salgia||Recruiting Seattle||Recruiter - Sales & Marketing||ExtraHop|
|Cindy Huffman||Recruiting Seattle||Recruiter||Oki Golf|
|Anca Cristea||Recruiting Seattle||Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist||West Monroe Partners|
|Nicole McDaniel||Recruiting.Work||Talent Acquisition Partner 2||Huntington Ingalls Industries|
|JoDee Klinker||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Carson Group|
|Jean Sheehan||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition||ConServe|
|Kara Wilson||TA Leaders||Recruiting Director||MorganFranklin Consulting|
|Kim Lonas||TA Leaders||Director, Human Resources||Exertis|
|Mahen Kathirithamby||TA Leaders||Director Of Recruiting||Looking for Work|
|Malia Jorgensen||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Nortal US|
|Manisha Bavabhai||TA Leaders||Head of Recruiting||Hudson MX|
|Nancee Martin||TA Leaders||Managing Director Corporate Recruiting||AvAirPros|
|Rachel Biggs||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||KúCoe Isom, LLP|
|Julie Kelly||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition||Forrester|
|Jeanne Amey||TA Leaders||Vice President Talent Acquisition||PennyMac Loan Services, LLC|
|Jay Barrow||TA Leaders||Head of Talent Acquisition||Southern States Cooperative|
|Dave Williams||TA Leaders||Head of Talent Acquisition||Simpson Gumpertz & Heger|
|Denny Voyles||TA Leaders||Assistant Director of Talent Acquisition & Development||the Orlando Magic NBA Team|
|Diane Mariuzza||TA Leaders||VP, Senior Recruiter||SitusAMC|
|Destiny Quinn||TA Leaders||Assistant Vice President, Talent Acquisition||Corvee|
|Debbie Burgess||TA Leaders||Director Talent Acquisition||Chico's FAS|
|Steven Green||TA Leaders||Vice President | Global Project Lead – Associate Recruiting |Global Human Resources||Looking for Work|
|Cara Kuhn||TA Leaders||Director of Talent Acquisition||Wesley Enhanced Living|
|Millie Urrutia-Santiago||TA Leaders||Head of Talent Acquisition for Mexico||Cognizant|
|Bennett Yang||TA Leaders||Director Talent Acquisition||SoundHound|
|Andrew Shelton||TA Leaders||Director, Talent Acquisition||Barrett Industries (a Colas USA company)|
|Dawn Losinger||TA Leaders||Head of Talent Acquisition||Precision BioSciences|
We asked our attendees, “Do you have a way that you like to use with candidates when it’s bad news?”
Here are their answers:
- Always dependent on candidate
- Appreciate their time
- Ask if they are open to feedback and provide specific feedback
- based on the candidate situation and their level, it will be either email or phone
- Be as genuine as possible; use pauses; don't give too much information.
- Be honest, tell them up front the bad news and then follow it up with a positive comment
- Being honest, transparent and providing some insight into the competitive talent pool is helpful to lesson the blow.
- By phone if possible, otherwise a personalized email with specific reasons for not being selected
- Call personally
- call them
- Call them if they have done a final interview.
- Communicate to them as soon as we have a candidate selected. If they're our 2nd choice I wait until the offer has been accepted.
- Consider candidate level and relationship(s); consitent approach; think candidate experience.
- Direct and empathetic
- direct yet kind
- don't wait and be honest!
- Email or Phone call
- Email that they haven't been selected for further consideration + open invite for feedback call
- For candidates who've interviewed in person I personally call them as opposed to getting a rejection email.
- Gently - never by email, always with a call
- Give a call
- Honest, transparent and quick
- I always say it's like ripping off a band aid, quick and to the point with as much feedback as I've been provided with
- I am always as honest as I can possibly be.
- I call them directly - I treat every rejection as I would an offer.
- I call...not email. I tell them that we found someone who was a much stronger match
- I find that emailing candidates is easier for them to digest the information versus a call.
- I like to convey the message on the phone and provide both positive and development feedback to the candidate
- I like to provide positive feedback with the negative
- I like to speak with them over the phone when possible, vs an email.
- I remind candidates to monitor our career page and encourage them to reach out to me anytime.
- I tell them right away that they aren't getting the job and give factual feedback.
- I try to make it more about us and the gaps we're trying to solve for--you're great at X, but we have people that X. We need Y.
- I usually decline via email unless it's an outstanding candidate that i would like to maintain contact with. I will call them.
- If an interview has been conducted, call first. If internal - the hiring manager calls and gives feedback. We can help if needed
- It varies
- Making the rejection a little personal and sensitive, with encourage to apply in the future.
- Over the phone
- Over the phone is preferable for certain roles, especially those you want to pipeline for future opportunities
- Personal email or call
- phone call
- Phone call - positive feedback with they "why" behind the decision.
- Phone call is best, but email is far better than no update at all (from what I've heard from candidates).
- Phone call to deliver the message
- Really depends on if the candidate is being considered or if the candidate did not do well in the interview
- Setting expectations before the interview that I will call them and share the decision either way.Call-sendin email disrespctful
- Short and sweet. Emphasize that the candidate selected has experience that better fits the requirements. Gratitude for interest.
- start off with the positive
- Suggesting other jobs to candidates
- Thank them, let them know why they were not selected. It’s not what you say...it’s how you say it.
- When I need to deliver bad news, I give a high-level reason as to why. When possible, it is good to give candidates feedback.
- When in high volume, call them if they made it to on-sites; otherwise, semi-personalized email template
- yes, but open to new ideas
- Yes, I let them know it was a very difficult decision and encourage them to set up alerts for future opportunities that come up.
- Yes, let them know from the start of the process I will be honest with them no matter the good or the bad.